Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Migrating to WA

​​​Citizenship Ceremony The Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs i​s responsible for  Australia's federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs and immigration and border-related functions and agencies, working together to keep Australia safe.

If you are planning or considering migrating to Western Australia you need to contact the Department of Home Affairs​ for information on visas and entry options.

For information on migrating to and living in Western Australia visit the Living in Western Australia website.

Settlement services

The Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs provides funding to non-government organisations and local government bodies to deliver settlement services to humanitarian entrants, family migrants with low levels of English proficiency and dependants of skilled migrants with low English proficiency living in rural and regional areas.

For information on the organisation providing settlement support in WA visit the Department of Home Affairs website

Learning English

English language tuition is provided to help newly-arrived migrants and refugees from non-English speaking backgrounds to settle successfully in Australia.

If you require assistance with communicating effectively when accessing a State Government service, you may request interpreter assistance, which will be provided at no cost.


Information on applying for Australian citizenship and the documents you must provide with your application are on the citizenship website.

After you are granted Australian citizenship you may apply for an Australian passport through your local Post Office.

Looking to visit or migrate to Australia

For information about immigration, visas, studying or working in Australia, or becoming an Australian citizen, please contact the Department of Home Affairs​​​.

Voting in elections

Australian Citizens aged 18 years or older are eligible to vote in Federal and State Elections. These elections rarely happen at the same time. If you are required to vote and you do not vote without a good reason, you may be fined.

You can enrol to vote by obtaining an application form from your local Post Office or online at the Australian Electoral Commission