Migrating to WA

This page will direct you to where you can find information on migrating to Western Australia. 

The Commonwealth Department of Home Affairs i​s responsible for Australia's federal law enforcement, national and transport security, criminal justice, emergency management, multicultural affairs and immigration, and border-related functions and agencies, working together to keep Australia safe.

If you are planning or considering migrating to WA you need to contact the Department of Home Affairs​ for information on visas and entry options.

For information on migrating to and living in WA visit the Migration Services website.

Applying for Australian Citizenship

Information about Australian citizenship, including how to apply and the citizenship test, can be accessed from the Department of Home Affairs.

Settlement services

Information about settlement services in WA can be obtained from the Living in Western Australia website. 

If you are a skilled migrant and would like advice on settling in WA, contact the Settlement Services team.

Humanitarian Settlement Program

The Humanitarian Settlement Program (HSP) provides support to humanitarian entrants to build the skills and knowledge they need to become self-reliant and active members of the Australian community. 

HSP Service Providers support clients to achieve outcomes in the following areas as a foundation for successful settlement:

  • employment
  • education and training
  • housing
  • physical and mental health and wellbeing
  • managing money
  • community participation and networking
  • family functioning and social support 
  • justice
  • language services.

Learning English

English language tuition is provided to help newly-arrived migrants and refugees from non-English speaking backgrounds to settle successfully in Australia.

If you require assistance with communicating effectively when accessing a State Government service, you may request interpreter assistance, which will be provided at no cost.

Voting in elections

Australian citizens aged 18 years or older are eligible to vote in federal and State elections. These elections rarely happen at the same time. If you are required to vote and you do not vote without a good reason, you may be fined.

You can enrol to vote by obtaining an application form from your local post office or online at the Australian Electoral Commission.

A family
Page reviewed 22 May 2024