Essential services

Access this page for information on essential services in Western Australia, including licensing and vehicle registration, postal services, telecommunications, transport and utilities.

Licensing and vehicle registration

Services relating to Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS) in WA are provided by the Department of Transport.

Local government

Local governments are responsible for safety, infrastructure and other issues within the local government boundaries including:

  • land rates
  • garbage collection
  • recreation and culture
  • ovals and parks.

Local government contact details can be accessed from the Local Government Directory.  

Further information regarding local governments can be accessed from the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries website.

Postal services

Australia Post provides postage services throughout Australia and overseas, and other services including:

  • Australian passport and ID photos
  • banking and payments
  • licence and renewal applications
  • tax number applications
  • travel money.


Telecommunication companies provide telephone, mobile phone and/or internet services throughout WA. 

The International Direct Dial (IDD) website provides information on Australia's telephone numbering system, and comprehensive listings of telephone, mobile, internet, cloud storage, domain name and web hosting providers.


Perth CBD and metropolitan services

The Public Tranport Authority is responsible for designing, building and maintaining transport infrastructure in WA. It is responsible for transport services including:

  • train, bus and ferry services in the metropolitan area
  • public transport services in regional centres
  • school bus services.

Transperth provides the metropolitan region with bus, train and ferry public transport services.

Regional services

TransWA provides coach services, bus and train services regularly to and from regional areas of WA.

School bus services

School bus services are available through the Government of WA Public Transport Authority’s School Bus Services and Transperth.

Rural students and students with special needs may be able to access free travel on school buses.


Utilities include gas, electricity and water services to your home including electricity, gas, and water.

Information about utilities can be accessed from the following list:

To connect your electricity contact Synergy on 131 353.

To connect your water supply contact the Water Corporation on 131 375.

For more information about utilities in Western Australia access the following list:

Page reviewed 20 October 2020